Thursday, December 11, 2008

Music to my ears

These flaws I've got
They're apart of who I am
Take me or not
But I finally understand
And I'm so done trying to be everything you want
I had to stop
'Cuz baby you ain't worth it
If I've got to camouflage

--Camouflage by Brandy


Yeah, I'm on a music kick.

I've been waiting more than two months for Brandy's album to drop. Something about the leaked song "First and Love" that stuck with me. It spoke to what I was feeling at the time.

It was, as KLC once said, "like she was hiding in my closet" for the last few months.

The CD, serious words wrapped around beats that sometimes don't match the message, was a welcome surprise when I first cracked it open Tuesday during my lunch break.

I fell. I fell hard.

I fell for the words, not just the beats.

I'm a beat guy, and all my friends will attest to that when they speak of my strange variation of tastes. Brandy's always been about that. She's not one to alienate audiences by giving them a hard beat with emotionless words. Even the club banger 'What About Us," talked of a relationship that'd run its course.

4 comments:

Promiscuous X said...

I'm not feeling the new album..Its just not brandy..I'm glad she pushed it back when beyonces cd came out because her shit woulda really flopped. Its too slow..All previous CDs were bangn...this cd sounds like a crossover cd..I'll pass

Darius T. Williams said...

I'm on my way to download her CD now...I'll let you know how I feel about it later - lol.

Jameil said...

OOH! I was thinking i wanted this! thanks for the review!

Unknown said...

Okay...I've waited long enough...where's Charlie?