Friday, February 27, 2009

daddy issues...

I'm going to come home to find my dog dead, on her right side on the floor by the balcony, part of a lamp cord sticking out of her mouth.

She. Eats. Everything.

So far, the casualties are still able to be counted: The cord on my desk lamp, the top to my tennis ball canister, the metal clips from my ace bandage, a piece of dried lasagna noodle, a pair of Kenneth Cole shoes, my New Balance running shoes and the last Sonic Blast ice cream shake I had from Sonic before I began my whole "no junk for Lent" ritual.

Now I know why some animals kill their children. They don't behave as soon as you want them to.

Charlie's come a long way since I picked her up on Nov. 21. She's tripled in size, and she showers me with random affection I knew I'd love her for.

But for every time she snuggles up next to me on the couch, there's a spot on my carpet to show her disobedience. And for every time she sits, gives me paw or claws my leg when she's excited to see me, there's a hole in the wall where she tried to dig to China through my laundry room.

What's a guy to do?

What say you? Do you put up with the ones you love simply because you love them, or do you attempt through repetition to make them do better?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I took over 9+ years to get Busta just to where I wanted him and what do I go do??? GET ANOTHER PUPPY! I'm so tired and worn down it's hard to write this and I'm afraid to give you advice that may - at best- land us both on Animal Planet's Animal Police or worse, have us in therapy for strangling our babies until their tongues turn blue. It's hard...really hard...but believe it that they are worth it and chances are you're so much better for her.

Nobody not really... said...

It's not that she needs obedience training. It's that she's still a puppy, and she's probably gonna be like any kid I have in the future: A pain in my side...

Nobody not really... said...

And, Cocoa, I feel you. Everybody looks for a way to get on a reality show. Never knew Animal Police was where I'd end up... lol