Monday, April 20, 2009

I feel... beautiful?

The compliment came from the most unsuspecting place: A man, sitting on a shelf on the balcony outside a club in DC Saturday night, interrupted a conversation he was having with me, Fuzzy and my "cunty" friend.

"You have some of the most beautiful eyes."

He'd already gotten my attention by being overly attentive when I spoke. It was just, well, you know.

Weird.

I feel weird getting compliments from people, period. Moreso this time because it was from a guy. A guy sitting in the corner on the balcony at the club, getting high no less. But I took it, mostly because I've had a few less-than-stellar events recently that could've shaken my confidence more had I not been numbed by the whole unemployed thing.

(1) I was called a "fat fuck." This was after I'd mentioned going to the gym during a phone conversation. "How long have you been doing that?" "I've been going every other day." "I can't tell." Yeah, unemployment =depression, and I'd gained 20 pounds since the beginning of March (I've already dropped five of those since last week tho).

(2) This "face looks like HSB and the attitude isn't much better" dude I know from high school hit me up on Facebook. When I got around to approving his request for "friendship," I found out he was married with a fourth kid on the way. I'm still single.

(3) I had been talking to someone for a few weeks. The conversations always went well, and lasted longer than they should've. It all stopped suddenly after my trip to Jersey. Yeah, I feel like I dodged a bullet, but it was still weird to be told one thing, but shown another.

The conversation at the club was about... I can't even remember. I just remember the dude in the, sneaking one of my friends (nah, I won't say) a hit on his "cigarette," complimenting me, putting his number into my phone as we disbursed from the rooftop and smiling the whole way back to the hotel. While I wasn't interested (for more than one reason), it did more for me than I ever thought it would.

What say you? What makes you feel special? Who does it for you? Can you do it for yourself?

5 comments:

Promiscuous X said...

Hey pimpn. I havent been to your spot in a while...1st I wanna say im sorry to here about the Job lost especially after changn companys such a short time ago. I hop ethings are looking upo for you...Dam man 20 pds, but you a tall ass dude so Its not that bad. Sidenote: I regreting I didnt come with fuzzy to DC. I hope yall had a good time clubbing/partying. As far as what makes me feel special, hmmm I would have to say everyone is special in there own way and there is only 1 me so dammnit Im special lol. I know im special. I am my own motivator I guess.

Ladynay said...

What makes you feel special?
Accomplishment, doing things people think I can't

Who does it for you?
Different folks and self

Can you do it for yourself?
Most of the time I do :-)

Jameil said...

a dude told you that? lol. i had to close my mouth. then i started laughing but i def. had to field compliments from the ladies when i went to a drag show one night. still... girls are used to taking compliments from each other. lol. i'm glad you got your boost, tho! to the people tryin to bring you down: kick rocks!!

Veronica Marché said...

Who makes me feel special? My roommate. She is my biggest cheerleader and she believes in me more than I believe in myself sometimes. And I don't care how big or bad you are, everyone needs that encouragement. Everyone needs a friend like that, their own personal cheering section, because sometimes life gets too hard to try to encourage yourself. And I'm so blessed to have someone like that.

fuzzy said...

I'm glad I was bringin you up! I wonder if i never woulda sat on that ledge would we have even spoke! I started talkin to him first... then he owled you on over and you scooped him up! Cock blocka lol

glad you was smiling though... that was a refreshment to see...