Sunday, April 12, 2009

Keep pushing... or say die?

I've been a working journalist since three days after college graduation. I've wanted this since I was 9 years old.

But since I became unemployed, it's been hard to focus on the next step in the process. I told myself when I got my last job that I'd go from there into an editing gig. Little did I know it'd last about a year less than it should have. Now I need another job as a reporter.

Trouble is, there's about 10 of those open across the country right now.

I'm giving myself about three months to freelance and figure out if I could even see myself applying for something else. Hopefully unemployment will kick in and I won't have to worry about dipping into savings (though it's a good thing to have... lol).

There's a bunch of PR jobs and jobs playing spokesman for different agencies, but it'd feel too weird to not be the one writing about the happenings.

Friday, I spoke with a recruiter from one of my old jobs about the state of our industry and he told me I should think about becoming a professor. There's probably a class of beginning journalists who need me to teach them the basics, he said.

It made sense, especially since that's where I'd like to be one day.

Didn't know my goal for 40 would come at 27...


What say you? What happens when a dream looks to be deferred? Did you soon forget about it? Did you get back to it as soon as you could?

No comments: