Wednesday, November 26, 2008

What is there to be thankful for? (An open letter)

I should've been spending my first Thanksgiving with you.

Ok, you wouldn't have been here, but we should've been together. I would've called you to check in after all the food had been eaten, joke about how much you ate, then tell you how much I couldn't wait to see you when you returned from visiting the fam.

Instead, I'm spending it a single man. Bitter about the situation, but glad you finally let me go.

Or, rather, I let go of you.

In hindsight, I am thankful for you. I'm thankful for the hell you put me through. I'm thankful that I reached my limit with you. So that means next time, when I see the signs, I'll know what's ahead. I'll know what do to.

I'll know to be through.

I'm thankful for the many deep conversations I had with my mother about you. I'm glad we finally came to a new place in our being that I'm able to give myself back to her. For years I felt something was missing from our relationship. But that's no longer true.

And I owe it all to you.

I'm thankful to have loved you. Because for a long time, I wondered if I'd be able to love anyone the way I loved her. She had me out there looking at rings and things. But she ended it all, leaving me blue.

Then I met you.

I'm thankful I'm not you. You said you missed me when we last spoke, when you really missed the attention I gave. And the pipe I laid. And the way I played Captain Save a Hoe for you. He's not paying enough attention to you. He's not having sex with you. He said you're unstable, and when I heard that, I should've trusted it, too.

Never wanna be miserable like you.

4 comments:

Jameil said...

ouch!!!

Ladynay said...

and exhale...

You could have road with me and my peeps to the country had I known you was on your own for the turkey day meal! :-(

Happy belated gobble gobble day anyway!

and exhale again...

fuzzy said...

its funny that as we go through we cant focus on that idea twin! we eyesight all the pain and wallow too! but we never realize that when we rise from all the unfortunate events, and the hell we've been through, we are so much better people!

Unknown said...

Hmmm...you'll know you're really over it when there isn't as much negative speak...
Just tellin' it from experience pa
;)