Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Foolishness

I logged into the messenger system when I got back from Greensboro. Janet's concert had been canceled, the ensuing evening was uneventful, and I really missed my bed. If someone hit me up, I'd probably not be there.

Then, I hear the BUZZ! sound coming from the Yahoo application. I barely go on there, but something made me log in.

"So I know you heard."

I first learned Jeremy was dating both men and women during a game of Truth or Dare. His "best friend" decided it wasn't that big a deal, and J needed to let the rest of us know.

We're still friends. He visited me just after I got to Raleigh in '06. He hit on me, and we stayed friends after I rejected him.

Then, he started dating Sara.

I've known Sara for as long as I can remember. She was in my hanging group in college. I mentored her on the student newspaper. We had one of those "friends forever" chats when she graduated. Of course liquor was involved, and we poured our hearts out to each other.

She's one of my favorite people. Though we only talk about once a week, I still consider her a good friend.

"Yeah, Tim told me," I said back. Seems Jeremy had taken a liking to my boy, Tim in the last few months. Their first time was two weeks ago. Tim called me because he was excited about a new interest. When he told me it was someone we both knew, I wasn't too happy.

Tim doesn't mind being the mistress in the situation. Jeremy's going with the flow of things on both ends. Sara's oblivious to it all, and has started buying wedding magazines for tips.

She's looking at summer 2010.

---

It's not my business to get in the middle of their situation. I can only tell Jeremy what I think of things, then keep it moving. Before I said anything, he snapped.

"You gon do some nigga shit and tell?"

I hadn't even thought about it. It's your life, not mine. With him being so defensive and accusatory, I took a second to think about what would happen if I told.

Should I even think about it?

Is it best to inject yourself into situations when you know it's for the greater good of a friend?

4 comments:

Promiscuous X said...

Wheewww with is such a sensetive subject...Im currently talking to my cuzns best friend whom is a female and my cuzn is questioning why am I even entertaining it, despite me liking dudes aswell. My opinion man is I say just keep ya noses out of it. Things can get real messy. Werd up.

But dam he could of picked a different shorty to holla at?

Dam wedding magazines. I so dont agree with that but, Its going on in households all over the world. This is nothing new. I still say just leave it alone. I will say have a convo with him and tell him to becareful. "Whats done in the dark , will come to the light"

Good Luck Hommie

Ladynay said...

I just had a sorta similar convo with a coworker who saw a neighbor's wife enter the bathroom with a man that was not her husband at a neighborhood party.

I'll tell you like I told him, don't say nothing unless your friend asks about it.

But I would tell your female friend to slow down with the wedding magazines.

Fly Brother said...

Are you better friends with him or with her? What does her happiness mean to you? His? Is ol' boy considering marrying this girl? If so, then you need to tell cuz to chill on the switch-hitting...that is, if you care about your girl being hurt. Because if it comes out later that you knew dude was messing around and didn't say anything to her, something tells me she might not want to be your 'friend forever' anymore.

Anonymous said...

tell HIM, to tell HER.
Talk about being an honorable man.
Talk about women being sensitive human beings who usually aren't down for being played. If she is looking at wedding magazines, don't you think he has made her believe there is a committed relationship going on?
In the end, at least you will be the man of honor if you tell old boy to have some integrity. She may even find out you stepped to him and told him to man up about the truth and she will love you all the more for it.
Good luck!