Friday, September 26, 2008

daddy issues...

I dropped Luis at the airport so he could make his flight to Detroit. He had planned three days of nonstop fun with his best friend, who is actually from my hometown.

None of that mattered to Diego.



The pup, a Pekinese, whined and moaned like an infant longing for the familiar touch of the one person who showered them with the most love and affection. For three days, though, that would have to be me.

He threw up on the way home from the airport.

He didn't eat a single bite of food -- which I left available for him all day.

He didn't touch his water.

The treat he got for going to the bathroom outside sat in the corner.

He moped like he'd lost part of himself.

I knew where he was coming from.

---

I felt honored when Luis asked me to look after Diego. To me, he was trusting me with his most valuable possession. It is also a good way for me to determine if I can handle this whole dog-owning thing on my own.

I spent the next day cleaning up my house in preparation for my guest.

He would sleep in the window, since that's what worked best for him the last time he stayed over. He would also get to run around a bit after using the bathroom. That way, I told myself, he would have already gone outside, and would have no reason to go on my floor.

This dog thing would be a piece of cake, I told myself. If I could watch Diego for three days, I could do anything.

Boy, was I wrong.

---

This morning, Diego was staring blankly out the window. It was raining, and he watched as a tree limb swayed back and forth in the wind.

I'd gotten up a little earlier to give him some attention. I grabbed him up and we went on a little stroll. He was excited to be outside with me.

We ran. He did his business. We ran some more.

When we got back in, he actually ate food and drank water. His treat, which sat for hours last night without so much as a second thought, was gone.

Maybe this dog thing could work out after all.

Still, it's clear he misses Luis. I sort of do, too. There are things about a dog I don't know. I don't know how to handle him acting unusually. Maybe there's a secret used to get him to come around.

Until the phone rings, I guess I'll never know.

2 comments:

KennonP said...

LOL- yeah dogs miss thier owners, sounds like he is doing fine just luv the lil mut lol

fuzzy said...

That is the dog you were talking about? that is sooo funny! I can see that dog catchin feelins! lol