Thursday, September 11, 2008

It's only appropriate (My Sept. 11 post)

I remember sitting in class thinking what my eyes were seeing just wasn't possible.

People on the Today show were talking about seeing a plane crash into one of the World Trade Center's Twin Towers. Dr. Workman continued with her lesson plan.

I faked a bathroom trip to head to the newspaper office, so the scene could play out with sound. I arrived in the room at 8:41.

"There was just... Oh my God, that plane looks like it's headed right for the. OH MY GOD! That plane just hit the second tower."

It's probably not verbatim, all these years later, but that's how I remember the woman on the phone talking.

I was the editor of my college paper. Surely we would be involved in covering this catastrophic event. I skipped the rest of my classes and called my staff together. It was the first time The Famuan published three days in one week.

Looking back on it, I needed that paper to save my sanity.

6 comments:

fuzzy said...

My experiences were different. I was in class in High School and they made an announcement. My classmate Brandice went into a fit! Yelling and screaming! Her mother was in the 1st building above where the plane hit. I and a friend were there for her for a few days. it was really tragic at the school. Many parents worked at the towers. Absences were outrageous that year!

Darius T. Williams said...

You know - I remember where I was and I remember what I was thinking. I just didn't believe what I was hearing when I heard it. I think this'll definitely be a day we'll never forget!

Anonymous said...

Very nicce!

Anonymous said...

I just want to say Hi to Everyone!

Anonymous said...

most spacious car car show schedule 2005 chicago auto show pictures ts auto accessories bmw crash video

Anonymous said...

15277.....5066