Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Wednesday Randomness... Vol. 2

This morning, I found myself trying to relate myself to a friend of mine who's in a place I remember all to well. With good friends as young as 22 and 23, I find often that I've been where they are, and I try to let on that the good will come soon enough.

A friend of mine is 22, doesn't have a car and works enough to get by. He's also in college working on two degrees. Robbing Peter to pay Paul has become too common.

Another friend, 23, sees shrinking checks and opportunities. Had things stayed the way they were 6 months ago, he figures, everything would be alright.

I see 21-24 as the post-adolescent version of puberty. You'll hit a few bumps in the road during that time in your life, but things will turn out fine in the end.

But when will the end come?

That's not for you to decide.

By the time you get to 24, things will be looking up. Hell, they're still on the come up for me at 27. It's a gradual process, this life thing.

Maybe they didn't come for advice. Maybe they just needed a sounding board. I'm just the type of guy who always wants to help (without coming out of his own pocket, of course). What do you tell a friend who sounds down on their luck about something they have little or no control over?

1 comment:

fuzzy said...

i'm waiting for 24 to come... i need things to pick up!