Monday, September 22, 2008

Five things about Mary J. Blige's concert...

5. Mr. Seaver's son: I laughed when I noticed his shirt was made of rubber. I laughed when he started raising the roof. I laughed when he tried to dance.

But I was partying in the aisle when he did "Wanna Love You Girl." I was still there for "Cocaine."

He may be stiff, but those songs are on point. And he's got hella swagger to pull it all off, bad dancing and all!








4. Tick-ets! Get ya tick-ets: I sold my ticket to the concert at the last minute to make sure my friend, Rashad, and I could get seats near each other. He had decided at the last minute that going to the concert was something he wanted to do.

On the way to the ticket counter, a man motioned me to his car. I felt like a hooker.

"Hey man, I got good seats for 50 bucks each," said the man, slumped in the front seat of a sedan, looking like a black Jabba the Hutt.

The tickets looked legit enough, so we went for it. Hell, the cheapest seats were 70, and he was giving us $115 seats for the low low.

We were nervous til the scanner beeped to confirm we were clear to go.

3. Movin' on up: My boy Rashad and I sat in our seats, excited that we were six rows from the front. But Rashad wasn't satisfied yet. After the first artist, we ended up rolling to the fourth row in the middle. I kid you not that I could've reached out and smacked Robin Thicke.

But, slowly, the once empty row began to fill.

Two ladies walked up on us in the middle of Thicke's set, telling us we were in their seats. I was ready to retreat to my "still good" seats on the other side. Rashad just moved over. During "Lost Without You," we lost our second set of stolen seats.






2. Kendu, Kendu, Kendu: We spotted Kendu strolling the grounds before the show began.

Red polo. Jeans. Matted mini fro.

Seconds after I noticed him, he was stopped by security.

Apparently, they had no idea who the hell he was.

I have a problem with you not wearing your "I'm with her" shirt at your wife's concert.







1. I love it when she cries: You can't say that stuff is fake! She belted out several songs, but a praiseworthy rendition of "Take Me As I Am" brought tears to Mary's eyes. That's what singing is all about to me: Knowing your stuff, and feeling what you say.

How much more convincing could you be?

3 comments:

Southerner in Suomi said...

What nerdwads for not recognizing MJ's hubby? Glad you had fun.

Darius T. Williams said...

Ahh - glad u had a good time. I bet you were nervous about that little ticket situation - lol.

Soldier said...

Robin is good. He really is. No in-your-face gimmics. No pop star behaviour. He's good.

Lmao @ the tickets.. I get all my tickets from a buddy who's into the ghetto-est deals in the world. i just take them. no questions asked. At least i have the possibility to beat him up if they dont work. I can totally relate to ur nervousness till the tickets got scanned.

Mary is real. period. u gotta love it.