Tuesday, September 9, 2008

"I DEE-SIDE-DED," an open letter to LiL B


Solange,

I waited these last few months for your album to drop because I loved everything I'd been hearing from you.

Then, you kicked off your promotional tour.

I'll be keeping my $9.99 stored on my credit card now.

I love the fact that you decided to try something a little different this time around. The sound is something that might need to make it to the mainstream. A blend of the old '60s sound and the spirit of the words coming together to incite... SOMETHING... from the apathetic. I was so excited.

You made it known you weren't trying to be the next Beyonce. You grew up with her, so it could've been easy for you to channel that one. But you were doing something else. Something new. It was classy, cool, spirited.

Then you screwed up.

Yeah, there may have been some things you didn't like about what was going on during your press junket, but man! Handle it after the cameras stop rolling. No one's gonna think of you as some punk for not handling it on air. Trust me.

Because of you, all your hard work to give the world a new sound will come up short. People were raving about the CD before it got to the shelves. You had a chance to get out there, show us some of that bubbly Knowles personality and get some dollars.

But your CD didn't even crack the top 10, and it's steady decline is imminent.

Now, B's gonna still have to give you an allowance.

Sucks to be you.

Sincerely,
A concerned fan.



6 comments:

Ladynay said...

How did she screw up?

Promiscuous X said...

I read the article man she let them have it. I almost forgot it was Solange lol. HEy she felt it was nessecary to speak on what people was saying about her and I commend her for it. Now will it her career. Maybe a lil but as long as she has daddy. She has plenty of other opportunitys besides being a solo artist

Acoustic Soul said...

It'd be nice for us who don't know how she fucked up to informed. What happend?

fuzzy said...

Oh she let have! lol But I don't believe that hurt the album as it did. I I bought albums i don't think i would of bought hers because of her style. It is diferent, not my cup o tea...

Like you said, daddy's got her back!

Nobody not really... said...

She set out on her press junket and, on several occasions, was more than rude to the people. She handled an overseas performance terribly because dude said something about her being Beyonce's shadow. She made a fool out of herself in Vegas with Monica Jackson. The list goes on... and on... and on... and on...

ThisMightBeMe said...

The only thing that she screwed up on was simply not being "Beyonce". Her CD is a nice compilation that segues well from everything we've grown to know as "Beyonce". I think her CD will be given new life soon. She's cracking into that underground crowd that has kept Jill Scott, India Arie, Erykah Badu etc.... afloat. She's an artist. I honestly didn't like her until this point. As far as her behavior on the news, we can only imagine how many times that she's handled it "off air". She seemed like she was fed up.