Monday, September 8, 2008

You don't know what you've got til it's...

The liveliness of my old newsroom is the thing I miss the most. Can't really say I miss the job. The one I have now is everything I've yearned for these last few years. The freedom to do whatever I want – AND get paid? No-brainer there.

But it seems everybody I know who has gone through a job change recently isn't liking the new situation. One friend of mine said the $20K salary adjustment wasn't even enough to keep him going.

He started this morning at his old gig. For EXACTLY what he was making when he left. I hope that works for him.

I think it's just taking me time to adjust to my new situation. I mean, it took me four months to adjust to the other one. I've only been here two.


What I like:

The lady I sit across from.
My editor's eagerness for the stories I pitch
The ability to have everything at my fingertips

What (else) I miss:

The editors I sat across from
The daily gratification (which had been drying up anyway, given newshole issues)

Overall, I'm glad with the choice I made, and I wouldn't change it for anything. What lengths have you gone before to make a new situation work? Would you go back to your previous employer, with the promises for only what you had when you left, instead of sticking it out?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck at the new gig...and we'll need to see pics of the new house...don't play yo'self...LOL

KennonP said...

Like the new blog, keep it up.

Southerner in Suomi said...

I would never go back to an old job. I think you gotta always have the mentality of moving forward, even if you go through a rough patch.

Things are crazy in general in our industry. I think you'll find the bright side of it all. Is it safe to say this is a bit of a different animal? (wire compared to a local paper)

Ladynay said...

Keep moving forward. Even if you go back to the company you used to work for, don't take the same position you left.

Promiscuous X said...

Dam You post to much for me lol. I be tryna keep up too. Dam writers lol

But yeah Change is good never regret.

I would never go back to a previous emplyer. Especially if I left with good reason. BUT if I was down on my luck and knew I always had a spot for me I'd go back. Me and my double standards LOL